HOLD A DRIVE FOR CRITICALLY-NEEDED ITEMS
Socks, underwear, toiletries, and small winter apparel items are especially needed.
Drives are a great way to make a difference in the lives of vulnerable people and get your entire company, school, place of worship, or even friends and family involved.
Just download the flyer below for one of our current drives and share with those you’d like to participate. They’re easy to run and have a big impact on people’s health, warmth, safety, and comfort.
Our Housing First initiative is ending homelessness for people who’ve struggled for years on the streets and in shelters by providing people with dignified housing and the support they need to rebuild their lives. They all need a little help to get started.
Help people get started on their journey to a new life by making Housewarming Baskets for their new homes.
Just fill your baskets with some of the basic necessities we all need to make our house a home and don’t forget to include a welcome note. You can make as many baskets as you’d like!
This is also a fun opportunity get a group of friends or colleagues together to have a Housewarming Party and make a huge difference in people’s lives.
This Housewarming Gift Basket Flyer has details and ideas about what to include in your baskets!
GROUP, EVENING & WEEKEND OPPORTUNITIES
- Sponsor & Serve a meal at Woods Mullen Women’s Shelter. The shelter loves the help and your presence means a lot to shelter guests.
- You can also host a Recreational Activity like BINGO on the night you serve. This is an especially nice activity when people are stuck inside during the winter months.
HELP PEOPLE GAIN INDEPENDENCE
- Assist with resume writing and interview preparation: one on one or in a small group.
- Host a Life Skills Workshop like financial literacy, budgeting, time management, goal setting, conflict resolution in the workplace, etc. to help people transitioning to new jobs in the community.
- Tutor students in the Career Center’s computer lab. Assist learners with basic computer knowledge, online applications, checking emails etc.
- Lead a group activity focused on wellness and fitness, recovery/therapy, arts and crafts, and other related topics. Yoga, meditation, creative writing, music appreciation, knitting are just a few examples.
Can’t Get a Group Together or Make it to One of our Sites? You Can Make a Difference Right from your Home, Work, School, Club, or Place of Worship!
Create Housewarming Gift Baskets for people moving into their new place.
Hold a Drive for Critically-Needed items like socks.
Host a Housewarming Party
Just get a group of friends together at your home and make housewarming baskets for people moving into their new homes. This is a direct and fun way to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
OTHER WAYS YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Give the Gift of Home
Purchase something from our Housewarming Registry and you’ll help make a house a warm, welcoming home for someone moving out of shelter into safe, dignified housing. You can purchase one item, an entire room, or even an entire apartment for people moving off the streets and out of shelters into their own place – many for the first time in their lives!
Want to support Friends of Boston’s Homeless every time you shop? Sign up for Amazon Smile. A percentage of your purchase will help fund our programs that help end homelessness for people who’ve struggled for years on the streets and in shelters.
For more information, please call (617) 942-8671 or email email@example.com.
Purchase customized Holiday Cards for your colleagues, clients, and friends.
Volunteers must be at least 17 years old. If you’re under 17, please consider running a drive for critically-need items like socks at your school, with your group or even with friends and family.